I started this blog to write down my adventures with Linux. It looks like it’s a bridge between Windows and Mac, but free. It’s also got a lot of community involvement, so that it’s easy to get help in.
I’ve installed Ubuntu 9.04 before, but now made a clean install on 10.10. Need to figure out how to partition the HD.
First, I’ll highlight a list of apps that I find useful for now:
- Set up shortcut for Terminal
- GIMP – Photoshop for linux
- Gnome do – search tool
- KDE – IDE
- Eclipse – IDE
- VLC – video playback
- x264 – just for fun
- some image and video codecs
- XAMPP – to play with the LAMP stack
- wget and use it to get new packages, download random stuff
- upgrade to 11.04 when it comes out on Apr. 28
- Emacs or Vi. I can do basic Vi stuff, but I think knowing one of them well is important.
- gdb and other tools for debugging